Monday 7 July 2014

I Am Not So Silent

This is a renewed blog post from back when I thought I might have something to say to the world at large. I have considered many things in life, from marriage, children, writing and of course the state of our world. I can say I love my wife, I love my children and in general I love life, but I have come to despise humanity and its belief the minority positions of racism, sexism, climate change denial and even the harsh treatment of asylum seekers holds sway over what is intelligent, just, and civil. In these last few weeks Australia, a so called civilized country, intercepted an asylum seeker boat in Australia waters, the navy, under instruction of the Australian government took these people who were fleeing persecution and torture and gave them back to the very people they were fleeing, where they were imprisoned with long prison sentences, torture and in the case of children, possible death. Can you at least understand my anger at such a thing happening in my name as an Australian.


I didn't start this blog to be political, but as a man who is concerned about the state of treatment of those who are most vulnerable I found I could not call myself a writer and author without holding a position ab out the world around me and which influences what I write. The asylum seeker issue is juts one of many, but perhaps the only one that really draws an emotional response at times, and I think all writers, who themselves are often reflections of the world around them, do need to hold some kind of position. For too long I have watched an industry I am apart of be silent and I have often wondered why; there of course could be many reasons but I cannot discount the positions of self preservation in an industry mostly controlled by media empires that promote the worst parts of society and the position of general apathy.


Not all writer, artists, creators of many kinds sit in the mentioned camps, but it has been a growing silence from the top end of the industry that often saddens me. My position on many things may indeed create an unbankable resource for investment in my work, but if I had to swallow my tongue to appease the hate preached by Rupert Murdoch I don't think I could manage it for very long. That is of course my position and I do not expect others to make the same sacrifice I do, such a thing would be quite unreasonable and in the process of sacrifice we would lose great voices from the world. There are many ways to enforce silence these days and sadly it really is a Catch 22 situation.


My writing often does venture into elements of today's activities, my novel Lycanation - The First Queen ( http://www.lycanation.com/the-first-queen/parts ) does deal with asylum seekers in a way, but I also address reasons for the for and against positions evenly so the reader is no confronted with my strong view, but given the opportunity to have a choice.


In my novel Uttuku (http://www.amazon.com ) I explore another area of interest, mental illness and it effects on day to day living. So I do have social issues in mind when I write, though not everything I write deal with a social issue.


This is my first blog in a few years and it is a bit sporadic and lacks any true focus, but at least it introduces you to me and what I feel strongly about.


End transmission

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you back on air, Rob. I believe you're voicing the opinion of most thinking people when you talk about the refugee faisco.

    ReplyDelete